Re: [DotGNU]Re: Definition of "webservice"

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Definition of "webservice"
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:18:00 +0100

(Discussing mapquest as an example)

>> It offers an number of useful services to the Internet public.
>> All of the currently available services (of which I'm aware)
>> are based on the browser-active server model.  The user enters
>> certain perameters in a html page display, and is served back
>> another html display page showing information related to the
>> users perameters.  A commodity browser is all the user needs.
>> Lets call this service A.

> Norbert Bollow wrote:
> >   "Webservices" are any service that are offered on
> > the web (regardless of what technology is used to provide
> > them).
> >
> > with these precisisations
> >
> > 1. With "service" I mean not only that some
> > functionality is
> >    provided, but that there should also be some
> > description of
> >    this functionality, namely how the service should
> > be used and
> >    what it provides.
> >

> Back to the original examples, then service 'A' would
> not be a 'WebService' since there is no description of
> the service.

I'd say that the HTML form on the left at http://www.mapquest.com/
(starting with the headline "FIND A MAP", until the button "MAP IT!"
provides a description of the service.

> > 2. With saying that the service is "offered on the web" I mean
> >    that it's offered on the internet via standard protocols,
> >    i.e. protocols that are open, widely published, and freely
> >    available for anyone to implement.
> >

> Also, this would put something like EverQuest out of
> the definition, since it is not using a starndar
> protocol.

What kind of protocol are they using?  (Is it published, etc?)

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com