[DotGNU]DFS, An initial Spec, not complete :)

From: Myrddian
Subject: [DotGNU]DFS, An initial Spec, not complete :)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:50:18 +1000

Well here is an initial spec for the Distributed File System.

It's way incomplete it needs more detail, and more work, I am posting this
early version so everybody
can get an idea as to what I am trying to go with this.

So people can oyu give me your comments, I know so please give me feedback.

Any how I will finish, this hopefully soon......
but yeah feed back.

Hope to hear from you all

Distributed File System

D.F.S.

Version 0.1A (INCOMPLETE)

by

Enzo-Adrian Reyes (address@hidden)

Introduction

DFS is a new way to handle large Network or distributed file systems, DFS will differ in the way it handles or creates these file systems not to mention as to how an user can interact with the file system.

Concepts

Unlike most traditional network file system, DFS will not handle mount points on a directory one mount basis, DFS will allow multiple machines to handle the single mount point. That is two machines can assing the single mount point and stripe the data across the two different machines.

With this DFS will allow easily extendable network file systems by adding a new machine to share the mount.

Example:

(DFS mount) /var/opt <-------------- Machine 1 (33%) /usr/local/dfs

|------ Machine 2 (33%) /usr/local/dfs

|------ Machine 3 (33%) /usr/local/dfs

Machines 1-3 provide the mount for /var/opt, and /var/opt handles and behaves like a standard FS. So if the /var/opt is a 1GB file system each machine would only handle 333MB of data.

As stated above because of this setup DFS will allow the easy extension of network filesystem by adding a new shared point either on one of the hosting machine or by adding a new hosting machine to the shared point (DFS mount).

Another concept of DFS is that of Object's, everything under DFS is an object which has it's permissions attributes and a series of "Extended Attributes" which define the object in greater detail .

A more important attribute to this Object concept is that of Set's, DFS will operate using Sets (akin to that of SQL or DBMS). An object can encapsulate one or more objects, or sending operations to the file system to retreive certain file matching certain criterion set by the Set query.

Implementation

To demonstrate that DotGNU is a truly scalable and advanced architecture to build upon, DFS will be built around the DotGNU framework using data streams and Objects for the Systems to interact with.