Re: Thoughts about our website

From: Xavier Brochard
Subject: Re: Thoughts about our website
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 21:06:33 +0000

"lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de" lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de – 12 février 2024 15:05

I’ve looked at haiku-os.org and I find it to cluttered, to much information at once, the important things get lost.

I’d rather keep the homepage as simple as possible, but with linked subpages (where all the other information can go).

Well, I think this is very opinionated, even is the current dominating opinion is that cluttering is bad.  Just compare with the world leader of ecommerce: Amazon main web pages (home, search results and product's page) are more than cluttered. The next ecommerce leaders do the same : eBay, AliBaba, etc. they all build cluttered websites. And please note that this is the exact opposite of design recommendations.

But, let's discuss, what is your target ? curently, Haiku target developers, free-software enthusiasts and technical guys. Quite the same as GNUStep. The website design gives al theses users the feeling that Haiku is a very active project, even if the releases are separated by years.

Keep in mind that a homepage with lot’s of stuff on it also needs a lot of regular maintenance, we just lack the resources for this (IIRC at the moment only Riccardo alone maintains the website).

The Haiku website is totaly automatised (build on Drupal).

best regards

Xavier