Re: website & ftp downloads update

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: website & ftp downloads update
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 19:08:20 +0000

+1, FTP is insecure (no validation whatsoever that your connection did not get
intercepted), needlessly forces the requester to distinguish between the text
and binary files before initiating a request, and defaults to pushing a file
back by opening a new connection to the requester (which is not useful in time
when NAT is prevalent, nor is it a security measure given the concern is that
inflight connections can also get intercepted and manipulated).

FTP is tolerable if users validate hashes and signatures of hashes of received
files, but otherwise isn’t fit for purpose anymore. I’m ok running a readonly
server for those who really want to fetch files over FTP (or need to, for
various reasons), but they need to secure their downloads themselves at that
point.

(This is off topic for discussion on whether ftp url schema should be
supported, but I’ll also state that I am unwilling to run a readwrite FTP
server, as that encourages login attempts where the passphrase is unencrypted
in flight.)