Re: Consider GtkCore as UI

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Consider GtkCore as UI
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 10:06:25 +0100

Hi Bruce,

bruce wrote:
> I'd always assumed that gnustep used its own gui across systems. But if
> you're using native controls on windows, my 'nda anxiety' is low.
> Nothing I say about linux gui affects windows.

the standard on windows is to treat it like a backend. We use old win32
to draw. This is very convenient because it is good old plain C and
works well with MinGW(2). We are still compatible with Windows 2000...
Window decorations are native, the rest is drawn. Very compatible. There
you can use all "system agnostic" themes, including some fake windows
themes. It is the most stable solution.

Or on any system you can also install themes which use a native toolkit,
which on windows is WinUX Theme. It uses native menus, buttons and
simulates some details. Looks quite nice.
For me, it has some minor issues which I was unable to fix, or we would
have made a release. I use it for a specific enterprise application. It
has also some strange stability issues where Windows "looses" the DLL
somehow and decoration drawing reverts. On Win7 it is very apparent,
since you loose transparency suddenly.

If you can help... welcome :)

Riccardo