Re: website & ftp downloads update

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: website & ftp downloads update
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 01:58:25 -0400

Marco,

Forgive the top post, but you have a point.  I think we should make the downloads page use http rather than ftp for downloads giving that the vast majority of browsers have dropped the ftp protocol.

GC

On 2023-10-19 09:14:32 -0700 Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after discussing at the last meeting that it is fine to let the
> dynamic
> download page go and centralize all download links in one place.
>
> Did so.
>
> I took the time then to check all package versions and upload the
> missing tarballs on our ftp site, so that e.g. debian finds them and
> packagers are happy again. As I went I also checked all latest release
> present.
>
> We had a strange mix of links without files or old links.
>
> https://home.gnustep.org/resources/downloads.html
>
> Of course, lots more to do, but this will help quite a bit to prevent
> confusion.
>
> Riccardo

Thank you!

Just a minor thought:
I was wondering about the download links on the page. They still use
the ftp:// protocol which has regrettably been phased out by every
major browser.

There are http links to those, so I was wondering if they should be
changed to make them more accessible. I remember the old wiki used
them too.

-- Marco