Re: Linker error while trying to use arc

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Linker error while trying to use arc
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 18:12:57 +0100

Please keep help threads on-list. (You should just use reply-to-all.)

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 11:17 PM Kristian X <pwishie@gmail.com> wrote:

> The version of libobjc that I'm using is whatever Manjaro has in their repos.

I've never heard of Manjaro, but it seems to be based on Arch. Based
on a quick web search, it looks like in Arch libobjc.so.4.0.0 is
coming from gcc-libs. (I punched in 'libobjc.so.4.0.0 arch' into my
search engine of choice, and this was the top result.)

This is giving you the answer where the runtime is coming from.

> I also tried compiling libobjc from the gnustep github repo and I still have
> the same problem.

If you mean https://github.com/gnustep/libobjc, that's the old runtime
with last checking from 2011.

Please use https://github.com/gnustep/libobjc2.

> If I try to link with -lobjc2 clang just complains that it can't find it.
>
> My clang version is 8.0.0 and ls /usr/lib | grep objc -i gives me
> libclangTidyObjCModule.so
> libclangTidyObjCModule.so.8
> libLLVMObjCARCOpts.a
> libobjc.so
> libobjc.so.4
> libobjc.so.4.0.0

I don't think you installed libobjc2. Its .so is called libobjc2.so*.

If you have checked out libobjc2, after 'mkdir build && cd build &&
cmake .. && make', you also need to run 'make install'.