Re: Cacao Linux - GNUstep based Linux distribution

From: Sergii Stoian
Subject: Re: Cacao Linux - GNUstep based Linux distribution
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 10:56:04 +0300

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 2:34 AM Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey,

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:17 Sergii Stoian <stoyan255@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Gregory,

I didn't quite catch what's Cacao Linux different from NEXTSPACE (https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace)?

It will be based on Devaun or Debian.
NEXTSPACE is based in CentOS only now.
It will use GNUstep applications from GNUstep itself and GAP.
NEXTSPACE source tree includes some applications from GAP: Terminal (a lot of fixes, additions and polishing) , TimeMon, TextEdit, loginpanel.app (Login). I'm for including more applications - I just don't have time for this doing myself.
It will not use any graphics from Apple or NeXT if I don’t have it I’ll make it or ask for help making it.
If I remove NeXT graphics it will be what you want. ;) Seriously, replacing the graphics is a very easy! I've included NeXT graphics to share an idea what desktop/developer environment I wish to be.
I think, carefully prepared graphics is essential to project success. But I don't see the designers around to do so.

I intend on using the loginpanel.app application I wrote years ago as the means of signing into the system instead of anything based on gnome or some other non gs based solution.
Have you ever tried to use NEXTSPACE? ;) Login.app has some of your code. It is pure GNUstep application.
Try it - it's already usable.

Part of the reason for doing this is to encourage more development to make it more and more complete because once we have a reference distribution the gaps will become clear.
I had the same reasons when started NEXTSPACE (as I wrote in announcement letter to this list). I plan to return to ProjectCenter development after NEXTSPACE release.
I guess we can join our efforts.

Do you plan to include some special frameworks, applications?

I am writing a facade for webview based on CEF3.  I did something similar using berkelium at one point.  You can look in GAP for that.    It will likely use Vespucci as the GUI.
Great.

Is it just Debian specific GNUstep build?

Not specific to Debian. I intend to make it as generic as possible.
Good.