FW: Bug in File Meta Source: Repeat does not work for detached headers

From: Adrian Winter
Subject: FW: Bug in File Meta Source: Repeat does not work for detached headers
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 12:27:16 +0000

Hey,

I’m pretty sure I discovered a bug in GNURadio and am now following the steps to report the bug, starting with sending this mail to the mailing list according to the development instructions.

Short description:

The File Meta Source block does not repeat the file, if a detached header is used.

Used Software:

  • GNURadio 3.10.9.2
  • Python 3.11.8
  • Installed through radioconda
  • X86-64 running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Create any IQ file using the File Meta Sink block with Detached Header being set to “True”
  2. Replay this file with File Meta Source block, Detached Header = True and Repeat = True, with the data being sent to any sink (e.g. Tag Debug)

Observed Behaviour:

The file’s contents are being loaded, but when EOF is reached no more samples are being produced, essentially stalling the flowgraph

Expected Behaviour:

The file should reset to the beginning and continue to produce samples indefinitely.

Other Notes:

  • Replaying the IQ file without the information in the header using File Source and Repeat = True works as expected.
  • Replaying a file using the File Meta Source with Repeat = True, but inline headers works as expected.
  • The data type does not appear to have an influence (same behaviour for IShort and Complex Float)

Any help would of course be appreciated, and please let me know if you can reproduce the issue and if I should create a ticket in Github.

Thank you in advance and kind regards!

Adrian Winter

Researcher,

SINTEF Digital

Trondheim, Norway

PS: this is the third time I send this message in various states of being subscribed to this mailing list. I really hope that the older two versions are actually filtered and I’m not spamming the mailing list. If I accidentally did, please accept my apologies – first time interacting with a mailing list.