Re: Figuring out different multipath components

From: Federico 'Larroca' La Rocca
Subject: Re: Figuring out different multipath components
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 14:35:34 -0300

Hi,
As Jeff says, it all depends on the sampling rate. If the time difference between paths is smaller than the sampling period, then there's no hope of recovering each gain individually. In your case, since you have wi-fi, you have a somewhat large sampling rate, but in indoor environments the difference in time of arrival is typically smaller.
Note furthermore that going from inverting the CSI of wi-fi to actually recovering the paths' gain, even if they are resolved by the sampling resolution, is not straightforward. You may check Gallager's great book for a very clear explanation (free at https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/6-450-principles-of-digital-communications-i-fall-2006/resources/book_9/, particularly section 9.4).
best
Federico