IEEE MetroAeroSpace special track: Criteria and Technologies for the Dev

From: krono86
Subject: IEEE MetroAeroSpace special track: Criteria and Technologies for the Development of a “New Space” Ecosystem
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 12:02:52 +0100

Dear All,
I would like share with you the special track CASTAWAYS: Criteria and Technologies for the Development of a “New Space” Ecosystem, in the context of the IEEE MetroAeroSpace 2024 that this year will be held in Lublin (Poland).
It can be interesting especially for students and software-defined radio enthusiasts.
The deadline has been extended to March 3rd; find below the call for paper.
If somebody needs information, please, let me know.
Kind regards.
Ivan Iudice

IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for AeroSpace (MetroAeroSpace) 2024

Special Track on Criteria and Technologies for the Development of a “New Space” Ecosystem (CASTAWAY)

https://www.metroaerospace.org/castaways

3-5 June 2024, Lublin (Poland)

Organizers: Ernestina Cianca (University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, Italy), Giovanni Giambene (University of Siena, Italy), Alessandro Guidotti (University of Bologna, Italy), Ivan Iudice (Centro Italiano Ricerche Aerospaziali, CIRA, Italy), Claudio Sacchi (University of Trento, Italy)

Scope

The role of Space in the framework of emerging telecommunication standards (5G and beyond) has been globally revised. Satellite and space segments will not be longer acting as mere support to broadcasting/backhauling or provide mission-specific services for which the a posteriori integration with the terrestrial component is non-trivial; rather, they will become a pillar of future 6G global and ubiquitous connectivity in a unified 3D network architecture, including multiple orbital shells, high altitude platforms (HAPs) and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.

Future Space networks will be interconnected in a Space ecosystem seamlessly integrated with terrestrial networks on a parity basis to reach the objective of global ubiquitous connectivity and augmented resilience. A question that we should answer is: “Should we launch more and more satellites, or should we use better the existing satellite resources?” For instance, we should ask whether the strategy of selecting interconnected satellites forming the “backbones in the Sky” is efficient or should be improved. Such considerations introduce crucial concepts of energy efficiency and sustainability. Indeed, the “New Space” should be both “green” and “sustainable.”

The proposed special track, organized in parallel with the IEEE MetroAeroSpace 2024 Workshop, aims at collecting contributions focused on “New Space” technologies, with particular emphasis on softwarization, network intelligence, efficiency, and sustainability in the framework of a renewed vision of the “Space as a whole”, namely an ecosystem that can be integrated on a pair basis with new-generation terrestrial networking infrastructures.

Topics

Important dates