Help on creating an intermittent beacon transmission using HackRF

From: David Barnhart
Subject: Help on creating an intermittent beacon transmission using HackRF
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 16:09:31 +0000

Hi all:   I teach a course at USC on satellite ground communications that is a lab-based class.

I would like to setup an intermittent transmission using a recorded beacon that we have used before (in cfile format) to have them practice “catching signals” using lab Spectrum Analyzers and SDRSharp tools in the lab.  I can get the beacon transmitting continuously with its recorded waveform, however am not familiar enough to figure what block structure to use to only intermittently transmit this signal every 10 or 20 seconds.   Might there be some easy way to do this?  Am using osmocom to transmit via bench top HackRF in closed lab room, with a cfile recording.

Thanks so much!    Dave

Research Professor &

Director, Space Engineering Research Center

Department of Astronautical Engineering and Information Sciences Institute

https://www.isi.edu/centers-serc/

University of Southern California

4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 1001

Marina del Rey, CA  90292