Re: volk questions

From: Fons Adriaensen
Subject: Re: volk questions
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:02:41 +0200

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for your response !

> first off, we'd need to know a bit more about your setup. Could you share
> the versions of VOLK and your host system, e.g. OS, version, etc.
> Furthermore, do you use a VM, a container, or smth like this?

VOLK was 2.5.0, now upgraded to 3.0.0, same results.
No VM, container, etc used.

Machine info:

zita1 (desktop)

fons@zita1:~> lscpu
Architecture:            x86_64
  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
  Address sizes:         36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  4
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
  Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               58
    Thread(s) per core:  1
    Core(s) per socket:  4
    Socket(s):           1
    Stepping:            9
    CPU(s) scaling MHz:  45%
    CPU max MHz:         3600.0000
    CPU min MHz:         1600.0000
    BogoMIPS:            6387.26
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov
                         pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
pbe syscall
                         nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts
rep_good nopl
                         xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq
dtes64
                         monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm
pcid
                         sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes
xsave avx
                         f16c rdrand lahf_lm cpuid_fault epb pti tpr_shadow
flexp
                         riority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm
ida arat
                         pln pts vnmi
Virtualization features:
  Virtualization:        VT-x
Caches (sum of all):
  L1d:                   128 KiB (4 instances)
  L1i:                   128 KiB (4 instances)
  L2:                    1 MiB (4 instances)
  L3:                    6 MiB (1 instance)
NUMA:
  NUMA node(s):          1
  NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
Vulnerabilities:
  Gather data sampling:  Not affected
  Itlb multihit:         KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled
  L1tf:                  Mitigation; PTE Inversion; VMX conditional cache
flushes, SMT disabled
  Mds:                   Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode;
SMT disabled
  Meltdown:              Mitigation; PTI
  Mmio stale data:       Unknown: No mitigations
  Retbleed:              Not affected
  Spec rstack overflow:  Not affected
  Spec store bypass:     Vulnerable
  Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user
pointer sanitization
  Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Retpolines, STIBP disabled, RSB filling,
PBRSB-eIBRS Not affected
  Srbds:                 Vulnerable: No microcode
  Tsx async abort:       Not affected

fons@zita1:~> uname -a
Linux zita1 6.5.5-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:55:13
+0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

zita4 (laptop)

Architecture:            x86_64
  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
  Address sizes:         39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  4
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
  Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               69
    Thread(s) per core:  2
    Core(s) per socket:  2
    Socket(s):           1
    Stepping:            1
    CPU(s) scaling MHz:  46%
    CPU max MHz:         2900.0000
    CPU min MHz:         800.0000
    BogoMIPS:            4990.47
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov
                         pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
pbe syscall
                         nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs
bts rep_good
                         nopl xtopology nons top_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni
pclmulqdq dtes64
                         monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16
xtpr pdcm pcid
                         sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c
rdrand lahf_lm
                         abm cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti tpr_shadow vnmi
flexpriority
                         ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep
bmi2 erms
                         invpcid rtm xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts
Virtualization features:
  Virtualization:        VT-x
Caches (sum of all):
  L1d:                   64 KiB (2 instances)
  L1i:                   64 KiB (2 instances)
  L2:                    512 KiB (2 instances)
  L3:                    3 MiB (1 instance)
NUMA:
  NUMA node(s):          1
  NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
Vulnerabilities:
  Itlb multihit:         KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled
  L1tf:                  Mitigation; PTE Inversion; VMX conditional cache
flushes, SMT vulnerable
  Mds:                   Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode;
SMT vulnerable
  Meltdown:              Mitigation; PTI
  Mmio stale data:       Unknown: No mitigations
  Retbleed:              Not affected
  Spec store bypass:     Vulnerable
  Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user
pointer sanitization
  Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Retpolines, STIBP disabled, RSB filling,
PBRSB-eIBRS Not affected
  Srbds:                 Vulnerable: No microcode
  Tsx async abort:       Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode;
SMT vulnerable

fons@zita4:~> uname -a
Linux zita4 6.3.2-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu, 11 May 2023 16:40:42
+0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
(needs an update !)

> Regarding your question, if these functions may be useful to VOLK / GNU
> Radio. I'd say yes. We'd have to figure out how this may work in practice
> though. I'd suggest to start with a PR.

PR ?

Ciao,

--