Re: Usage of GNU Radio for small spacecraft

From: Daniel Estévez
Subject: Re: Usage of GNU Radio for small spacecraft
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:11:56 +0200

Thank you to all who have contacted me regarding this. Luckily I have received a large number of replies, both by email and on some social media platforms, so I have not been able to reply one by one.

I have now written a draft of the revised section about GNU Radio for this report, and in one week we will be sending this to NASA. I have posted the draft in the #satcom channel in the GNU Radio Matrix chat in case anyone wants to give feedback before the deadline:

https://chat.gnuradio.org/#/room/#satcom:gnuradio.org

The paragraph for which I was collecting example use cases reads as follows. As I mentioned, it is quite general, but it seems a good summary of all the information I have received.

"
In the small satellite industry, GNU Radio is frequently used as part of the ground station, both for standard protocols such as CCSDS and for custom modems. Some commercial groundstation-as-a-service solutions that support GNU Radio modems are Azure Orbital Ground Station and AWS Ground Station. Another example is the open-source community-driven SatNOGS network. GNU Radio is also very useful for prototyping and lab testing. Additionally, some small satellites run GNU Radio on-board, usually as part of a highly flexible SDR payload.
"

Best,
Daniel.