Re: Round trip time calculation - simulation

From: Johannes Demel
Subject: Re: Round trip time calculation - simulation
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:45:36 +0200

Hi Jiya,

It seems like you want to measure the DSP latency in a flowgraph without hardware.

For better readability, I suggest to use a service that lets you upload screenshots in higher resolution and you just share the link.

In said screenshot, I suggest to mark your start end endpoint for your measurement. Thus, we all know exactly what you want to do.

The "Throttle" block will have an influence on your measurement even if it is before your measurement starting point because it influences GR scheduler behavior.

The timestamp and latency measurement approach seems sensible. I used the same approach for such investigations.

How do you want to track the timing for 1 sample?
Especially FEC works on blocks. A lot of blocks do. Not just in GR but just in principle. I assume that you want to measure the time it takes for a frame of specific size to be processed.

Since I don't know which GR version you use, you might want to double check if all the rate changing blocks place the tags on the correct sample in the output.

These are a few thoughts that came to mind when I looked at your flowgraph.

Cheers
Johannes