Re: Transmit / Receive Text On VHF/UHF Frequency w/ HackRF One

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Transmit / Receive Text On VHF/UHF Frequency w/ HackRF One
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:42:27 +0200

Hi Adam,

The magic of GNU Radio is that wherever you put something like "Network sink/source + channel model", you could also put a hardware interface block.

So, the "Packet Communications" Tutorial from https://tutorials.gnuradio.org does apply :)

I'd recommend doing that tutorial; soon as it works through ZMQ network sockets, you can read the "Using GNU Radio with SDRs" tutorial (It's by far not as long!).

So here comes the part where I have a strong recommendations:

You want to use GNU Radio 3.8, but that's really in maintenance mode, and for people who want to interface HackRFs, is a pretty bad choice. If you get GNU Radio 3.10, you're automatically getting the gr-soapysdr interface, which means that, as soon as you install soapy-hackrf, you can talk to your hackrf – no external GNU Radio blocks needed. Also, you'll find that in the parts of the "Packet Communications" tutorial that differ between GNU Radio 3.8 and 3.9+, the 3.9+ parts are a bit shorter and "less confusing"; that is result of the GNU Radio developers trying to make packet communications less of a hassle. You really don't want to do this on 3.8.

It's not hard to install a newer version of GNU Radio; typically, all you need to do is either use a somewhat modern version of your Linux distro, or use the Radioconda installer (does also exist for Linux, not only Windows and MacOS).

Best,
Marcus