Re: Pail of Milky Way Horn Radio Telescope

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: Pail of Milky Way Horn Radio Telescope
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 20:23:19 -0400

On 02/05/2023 19:17, Glen Langston wrote:
Hi Marcus Leech (and Muller),

Well you beat me to it!

It’s great that you can pre-confirm my results.  I’ll have to look at the
rest of your memos.   Do you mind if we cross-post your memo CERRA memo,
as a LightWork memo too?  Maybe it will be better to just reference your memos
on the LightWork page.  Just thinking while typing…

You produced a beautiful spectrum of the Milky Way, if you love that kind of
thing, like I do!
Calibrating, by looking at the Ground, is pretty reliable and easy.

Cheers

Glen

Wide-field spectra at milky-way transit near Cygnus are generally pretty nice.

Here's a kind of "extremal" of these types of horn antenna:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kn49pWqQ3kiiZwTq8

We had that one built by a local sheet-metal/HVAC shop for under C$200.00.    The diameter at the exit is about 23"
  as I recall.

The plan was to use it to illuminate our sub-reflector at the observatory, but we had a change of heart after we realized   that plan was going to require a LOT of "civil engineering".   So, we converted the 12.8m dish to prime focus, and that
  well-built (but kinda 'amateur') horn is just sitting there.