Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "gnuradio challenges" (for learning GNU Radio)

From: Jean-Michel FRIEDT
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "gnuradio challenges" (for learning GNU Radio)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 10:30:12 +0100

if there can be any interest, I try to gradually go from basics (using
GNU Radio to introduce such topics as decimating, aliasing and the need
for low pass filtering) to more applied topics (of course FM radio demodulation,
then POCSAG) and BPSK demodulation (Costas loop) and finally multichannel
analysis (Xlating FIR) in my lab sessions at
http://jmfriedt.free.fr/tp_sdr_eng.pdf
(or for the French speaking part of Belgium, http://jmfriedt.free.fr/tp_sdr.pdf)

More challenging signal demodulations such as GPS and RDS are discussed
separately (eg http://jmfriedt.free.fr/lm_rds_eng.pdf &
http://jmfriedt.free.fr/sdr_gps_eng.pdf)

JM

Hi all,

After the GNU Radio workshop at hsbxl two weeks ago, a number of people of the Belgian amateur-radio community who where at the workshop have shown interest in continuing to learn more about GNU Radio.

However, one of the main issues we have noticed that we kind-of lack a good "application" to use GNU Radio for, and -as we all known- you only learn something by using it.

So, based on the idea used in cybersecurity training, I would like to see if it not possible to create a number of "GNU Radio challenges", either decoding radio-signals or creating an encoder that produces a desired signal.

I know Ben Hilburn created the challenge (found on the GNU Radio website) but that one is way above what most people are able to decode (let alone people just starting out with GNU Radio). Again, looking at the cybersecurity-scene: If you look at a website like "root me" (https://www.root-me.org/?lang=en), it provides a number of challenges with an increasing degree of difficulty, which allow people to build up their skills step by step. And -as I see it- this "step by step" approach is the most important element in a educational project.

So, does anybody know if there are, or is anybody interested to help create, more GNU Radio challenges that can be used for an educational purpose, to provide people with a "learning path" to really start to learn and use GNU Radio?

Are there people who use GNU Radio as part of teaching radio-communication? What topics do you teach and in what order? How do you get the students to understand radio-communication and GNU Radio?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.