[Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction for GSoC participation

From: Arpit Gupta
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction for GSoC participation
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 01:17:42 +0530

Hi,
I am Arpit Gupta, an Electronics and Communication undergraduate at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India. I am highly interested in contributing to GNU Radio as my GSoC project.
I am done with setting up the project and have gone through the guided tutorial on GNURadioCompanion. Right now, I am learning to program GNURadioCompanion in python.
I am a member Information Management Group, a student group responsible for maintaining institute's website and intranet applications; Vision and Language Group, a student group aimed at spreading culture for reading and programming deep learning research papers among students. So, I am moderately fluent in python and C++.
I have had courses on "Signals and Systems" and "Principles of digital communication" in my academic curriculum which I found pretty interesting, so I am highly enthusiastic about working with GNU Radio this summer.
I have checked out the ideas list. Two of the ideas suit me:
1. Block Header Parsing Tool: I have some text parsing experience in python, so this project would be really good to work on, also I am currently going through the block structure of GNU Radio.
2. GRC: View-Only Mode (Secure): This idea is pretty cool. The essence of the problem I got was, for example, when I set the sample rate to 2*16000 in GRC, the python _expression_ "2*16000" was evaluated, resulting in the sample rate of 32000 which should not happen in case of View-Only mode. So, definitely would like to work on this.
I have worked on some issues and currently have one pull request merged along with two open pull request on issues of GNURadioCompanion, which definitely helped me getting more and more familiarized with its code structure.
I'm currently going through the code of GNURadioCompanion. So it will very helpful if I can get your guidance. I will be highly obliged.
Thanks.