[Discuss-gnuradio] Question about Benchmark_rx.py file code

From: alfayez
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about Benchmark_rx.py file code
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:02:17 -0400

Hi I'm trying to troubleshoot a piece of code that was handed to me.  The basic application uses GNU radio and a USRP in transmitting digital signals and the application uses the following file provided in GNU radio "benchmark_rx.py" which can be found in the following directory "gnuradio/trunk/gnuradio-examples/python/digital/benchmark_rx.py".

The application occasionally crashes on line 66 in the benchmark file, the line is "(pktno,) = struct.unpack('!H', payload[0:2])".  The error I get is that struct.unpack should be passed a string of at least size 2

When looking at the code it seems that it should have 'H' versus '!H' if the intend was to convert the object to a C unsigned short object.  And if the intention is to pass !H then it should be passed as "!H" using double   quotes.  when I changed the code to either 'H' or "!H" the code works without any runtime errors.

My question is, is the '!H' a bug in the GNU radio code?  Thanks.

Al Fayez