Re: GigE (was Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DSP based SDR)

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: GigE (was Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DSP based SDR)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:07:38 -0400

Harald Welte wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 04:10:35PM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:
> > I'm picking up the Gigabit Ethernet conversation from a few weeks ago.
>
> great :)
>

> I didn't state (or at leat want to state) that it was impossible to
> achieve multiple-gigabit data rates with the Linux network (or even
> TCP/IP) stack.
>
> I just think that it is a horrible waste of cpu cycles and memory
> bandwidth, when all you want is to get large amounts of data from a
> local (cloe to the computer) device into an userspace application.  This
> is especially true if your userspace application is a cpu hog like
> digital signal processing algorithms ;)

I'll point out the obvious here.  If it's purely-local, then there's no need to
  deal with the TCP/IP stack--raw ethernet frames would work just fine, and
  cut-out much of the processing you're complaining about.

I'd configure things with a 1GigE card for the radio data grabber, and another
  card for my real network traffic.

--
Marcus Leech                            Mail:   Dept 1A12, M/S: 04352P16
Security Standards Advisor        Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145