[Denemo-devel] [bug #54821] support for guile-2.2

From: Bernd Waibel
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #54821] support for guile-2.2
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 15:03:34 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #7, bug #54821 (project denemo):

I'm not the maintainer of the lilypond package, I only know we have
lilypond-2.19.80 with support for guile-2. Because test is currently
restricted, I don't think the build passes the tests. A comment in the build
file says, correct data for tests being not bundled yet (c.f.
https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/blob/master/media-sound/lilypond/lilypond-2.19.80-r1.ebuild#L55).
For lilypond-2.18.2 Gentoo also doesn't support guile-2. It's one of the
reasons guile-1.8.8 is still in the repository.

I reworked the patch a bit and tried it inside a clean docker container using
* guile-1.8.8 / lilypond-2.18.2
* guile-1.8.8 / lilypond-2.19.80
* guile-2.0.14 / lilypond-2.19.80 and
* guile-2.2.3 / lilypond-2.19.80
and it compiled successfully in all four cases.

However, I only used a minimal configuration for denemo to keep number of
packages pulled in and compile time limited. Only --enable-x11, --enable-gtk3
and --enable-nls were used in my tests.

An excessive test run with this four setups, testing all combinations of
configure options is in the pipeline, but will take some time.

What I found so far is, the guile-2.0 and guile-2.2 versions of the M4 include
file (stored under /usr/share/aclocal/guile.m4 in Gentoo) differ only in
implementation details, the both provide the same macros to use. The guile-1.8
M4 file is different, as it provides a different set of macros. It doesn't
have a GUILE_PKG macro, which was introduced in guile-2. All three however
provide the GUILE_FLAGS, GUILE_PROGS and GUILE_SITE_DIR macros. GUILE_PROGS is
called from GUILE_FLAGS and I also added a call to GUILE_SITE_DIR, though I'm
not sure if it's necessary. Adding the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to the CFLAGS and
LIBS variables for substitution makes denemo compile in all of my tested
combinations.

I attach the patch here, so you can test it and see if it works.

Another thing which popped up during my test, belongs to bugs #52741 resp.
#53804. For this we were applying the patch you provided. In one of the cases,
it happened what comment#4 of bug #53804 is stating. I hope to get more data
for this during my test runs.

(file #45236)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: denemo-2.2.0-fix-guile.patch   Size:1 KB

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54821>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/