demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] Compilation issue with demexp 0.7

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Compilation issue with demexp 0.7
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:58:55 +0200

Hi,

Le Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:05:55 +0200,
David MENTRE <address@hidden> a écrit :

> >> The compilation log is available at http://thomas.enix.org/pub/log
> >
> > Well, I can't say nothing from such logs.
>
> After some thoughts, just an idea: all missing symbols come from
> gcrypt library. Have you it on your system? (libgcrypt11-dev on
> Debian Sarge).

I made some progress on that front. In fact, the problem is that
curl depends on libgnutls, which depends on libgcrypt and other
libraries.

   curl -> libgnutls -> libgcrypt

When doing dynamic linking, using -lgnutls is enough. However, when
doing static linking, you *must* list all the libraries (even the one
that you don't use directly, but that are used by other libraries you
depend on). I have not yet found informations about this on the Web,
but Julien Cristau (from the Debian OCaml Maintainer team) told this to
me yesterday on IRC. And my experiments seems to validate this
assertion.

The same problem can be reproduced without any OCaml stuff. When I try
to statically compile one of the simple example provided by
libgnutls3-dev on Debian, it borks with the same errors.

So, by adding -cclib "-lgcrypt -ltasn1 -lgpg-error" to the compilation
lines of the static version of the server (both bytecode and native),
I've been able to compile demexp 0.8 completely.

However, the Debian package itself is not ready. Some work is still
needed to do it.

Sincerly,

Thomas
--