demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] Australia uses electronic voting now

From: skaller
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Australia uses electronic voting now
Date: 17 Oct 2004 23:43:54 +1000

Just after our Federal elections, there was an election
for the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) which is the
aussie equivalent of DC in USA, although somewhat bigger.

Electronic voting was used in that election (16 October).

The news item on TV showed a voter swiping a card
mounted next to a large screen which displayed the
ballot paper. I guess the usual registration process
at the polling place lead to the one-use card being
issued to the voter (not sure).

The electronic voting was only used at some of the
booths (I do not know if voters could choose paper
voting at the booths providing the electronic vote,
but I guess so).

The ACT parliament has 17 seats. The result was
a 10-7 landslide for Labour, after being creamed
by the Liberal-National coalition at the Federal
election.

--
John Skaller, mailto:address@hidden
voice: 061-2-9660-0850,