dejagnu

Re: What to do with setup_{host, target, build}_hook and cleanup_target_

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: What to do with setup_{host, target, build}_hook and cleanup_target_hook procedures?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2019 22:27:20 -0600

Ben Elliston wrote:
On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 06:30:50PM -0600, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
I propose:
   1.  Add cleanup_{build,host}_hook procedures.
   2.  Ensure that all *_hook procedures are empty and move all
framework-related code to new procedures.

That sounds fine. Can you please make sure the documentation is
updated, too? I can't find "hook" anywhere in dejagnu.texi.

This issue with the code was found while writing documentation, so the new documentation will at the least be included in the big documentation patch I am currently working on. Should these code changes also be rolled into that patch, submitted separately with the revisions to the documentation held pending, or submitted together with their specific new documentation to be merged separately from (and prior to) the large patch?

The third option above is offered because I think that Git should still be able to find the insertion point to merge them together: the *_hook procedures are expected to be defined in the global configuration file for a particular testing lab, so I plan to document them in subsections under the "Global configuration file" node, which is remaining in the "Customizing DejaGnu" chapter. (The "Local configuration file" and "Platform Dependent Procedures" nodes are getting pulled into the new "DejaGnu Testsuite Layout" chapter in the current plan.) Speaking of that, I am also moving towards using the Texinfo @deffn command for documenting procedures, so I ask whether each procedure should get its own node or the {setup,cleanup}_<what>_hook procedures should be grouped by <what>? I currently lean towards the latter option: add subsections for build/host/target hooks.

-- Jacob