debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] how to configure ldap password?

From: Christian BAYLE
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] how to configure ldap password?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:15:43 +0100

ldap is a tricky stuff :)

There are 2 reasons for this kind of message:
        -password in sf is not the same that the one set in ldap
        -/etc/ldap/slapd.conf does not give enough permissions to admin user

access lines for dn="cn=admin,dc=..."

take care to use the same dn ($sys_ldap_admin_dn var) in
/etc/sourceforge/local.inc

I display $sys_ldap_admin_dn during install, this should help you
this ldapmodify try to set the password for

$sys_ldap_bind_dn="cn=SF_robot,dc=....
that is used after to add/change ldap records, by the ldap php4 modules

for debugging the best is to modify the config files
and to use install-ldap.sh script, until you manage to run it without
errors
one this done, sf setup should go smoothly.

Hope this help

Christian

Soon-Son Kwon wrote:

> Hello: I found that 2.5-26 released for sid.
>
> I tried to install it but failed....again.... :-(
>
> The error occurred at the same location with "invalid credentials" message.
>
> Error occurred while running this part at install-ldap.sh
>
> echo "Changing SF_robot passwd using admin account"
> ldapmodify -v -c -D "$sys_ldap_admin_dn" -x -w"$secret"<<-FIN
> dn: $sys_ldap_bind_dn
> changetype: modify
> replace: userPassword
> userPassword: $cryptedpasswd
> FIN
>
> It seems that the problem comes from the "$secret".
> This seems to be the global password that enables the user
> to add/del/modify any record on the ldap database.
>
> When installing the newest slapd package, dselect shows the password
> which it generated randomly and as far as I know, the "rootpw" directive
> of slapd.conf contains this global password but the default installation
> does not contain "rootpw blahblah" at slapd.conf.

Take care that the newest package always keep ancient configuration
that can use ancient admin with
dn=cn=admin,ou=People...

in this case a
apt-get remove --purge ldap should reset ldap correctly (this desinstall
sourceforge that depends
on it)

> Is the above installation error has anything to do with not having "rootpw"
> in slapd.conf or is there any way to specify the global password
> for slapd? "man slapd.conf" recommends using SASL instead of
> having "rootpw". Should I use SASL in order to install sourceforge?

Normally you don't have to touch anything in SASL
I never tried to make work ldap with kerberos, maybe you use this?

> I wonder if anyone successfully installed the sourceforge just by
> following the default dselect choices without hand-editting any files.

We do this regularily testing the package, the hardest is the first time
in fact :)
Once ldap is happy things are going smoother.

We are doing many checks, but our error message can probably be
improved,
your remarks are welcome