dazuko-help

Re: [Dazuko-help] Linux 2.6.34

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-help] Linux 2.6.34
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 13:33:23 +0200

On 2010-05-30, Frans de Boer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Just asking, I have suggested a solution for the 2.6.34 problem with
> the 'kfree()' function. So fare no reaction. Which makes me wonder
> if the maintainer is gone to sleep/holiday or does it went unnoticed
> at all?

I have noticed and it has been sitting on my TODO list for the last
week.

> My previous reaction lead to the rc2 version, so why not now a rc3
> version?

That is exactly what I have done today. I have added the extra include
to all the .c files that make use of kfree(). 3.1.3-rc3 is now
available for download.

> Looking at the ([too?] rapid) pace of kernel development , I can
> understand that any maintainer would have trouble to cope with the
> kernel changes. on the other hand I see many 'deprecated' warnings
> in various sources which go unsolved until the (functional) support
> is really terminated.
>
> So, I just ask Linus to temporize the sometimes rapid changes and
> developers of software developers/maintainers to abide by the
> governing rules. Meaning, deprecated means just that. So, try to
> upgrade with the next release or the software.

The real problem here is that DazukoFS is not mainline. If DazukoFS
was mainline, it would be kept up-to-date automatically by the kernel
maintainers.

In 2009 I made a push to get DazukoFS mainline, but was
unsuccessful. The comments made back then have been addressed, but I
have found quite a few open ends that should be implemented in
DazukoFS before trying again for mainline.

Since I personally have no need for DazukoFS, it is difficult as a
maintainer to make time to work on the project. Since it works "good
enough" in its current form, there appears to be little interest from
the community to make the needed changes for mainline integration.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer