Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Planning to check-in new branch: the GIOP ext

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Planning to check-in new branch: the GIOP extensions for rmic.
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 18:04:40 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 13:25 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> In particular, I think we want to be sure that the various
> tools are usable in a typical java environment -- so for instance I
> think we want it to be clear to end users, packagers, etc, that it is
> fine for 'ant' to load gjdoc (or any Classspath tool) from the
> tools.jar.
>
> >From my perspective this would be simplest if we made sure all the
> tools were also GPL+Exception.  This would also make it simpler to
> refactor code across the tool/core boundary.
>
> However, a relicense may not actually be required.  A statement from
> the FSF assuring people that this kind of use is allowable would
> probably suffice.

I'll bring it up with FSF legal. The copyright-clerk has just reviewed
our FAQ and had some suggestions on making the wording more clear (which
I need to incorporate). So it should be fresh on their minds. The GPLv3
also has a bit more clear/explicit text about usage of standard
tools/interfaces which we might borrow for our FAQ.

Cheers,

Mark