Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Build succeeded, but...

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Build succeeded, but...
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:20:47 -0500

Audrius Meskauskas wrote:

OK, the previous error can be fixed by the good kicking of the build system with:

address@hidden cp-tools]# gcj --classpath=.:/usr/share/java/bytecode.jar:/usr/share/java/asm.jar -fassume-compiled -I./src -I -Isrc/jars/bytecode.jar -Isrc/jars/asm.jar -I. -g -O2 -o localegen --main=gnu.localegen.Main -Dgnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=never src/gnu/ldml/AliasElement.o src/gnu/ldml/Analyzer.o src/gnu/ldml/Constants.o src/gnu/ldml/DataElement.o src/gnu/ldml/DetailedListElement.o src/gnu/ldml/Element.o src/gnu/ldml/ExpansionElement.o src/gnu/ldml/ListDataElement.o src/gnu/ldml/OrderedListBaseElement.o src/gnu/ldml/OrderedListElement.o src/gnu/ldml/ParseException.o src/gnu/ldml/Parser.o src/gnu/ldml/ResetElement.o src/gnu/localegen/CollationInterpreter.o src/gnu/localegen/JavaGenerator.o src/gnu/localegen/Main.o src/gnu/localegen/PropertiesGenerator.java

after error and typing "make" again, and the build goes till finish!

However only in the case when the very old ASM 1.5.3 is used. It does not compile with the recent 3.0 and also with any version of the 2.*.

This is also not written in INSTALL.

Conclusions:
1. We need instructions how to make the bytecode.jar. It does not appear automatically. 2. We need to specify the currently used versions of ASM and probably of KAWA also. 3. We probably need to fix the build scripts to prevent the build problem, described above.

Audrius.

The dependency on bytecode.jar was I thought to go away when the new javah/javap tool that also provided compilable assembly code appeared. I haven't seen it yet though so I don't know whether to spend some of my copious spare time on this project or not. Yes, I have time to work on this but I've not followed up on it due to what I perceive to be a much better replacement coming at some point.

A while back I wanted to move gjdoc into cp-tools so we could stop with the whole maintaining multiple build scripts but with most of the active development happening over there I didn't see much support for this. Tom apparently wants to move it into classpath where I think we run the risk of the tools becoming dependent upon Classpath specifics rather than working anywhere there is a suitable java environment. However there are also places where tool integration with the core library is beneficial, I believe in terms of RMI. I haven't updated to the latest Fedora and I don't have a jpackage based system for java libraries. So fixing the build so it is as flawless as it should be is difficult for me. I think we should update our code, some of it is recent, to use the newest version of ASM only and remove our dependency on KAWA completely. We need a testsuite for our tools to ensure they work and that changes don't break them.

Brian