[Cp-tools-discuss] Removing of the bytecode.jar from project seems prema

From: Audrius Meskauskas
Subject: [Cp-tools-discuss] Removing of the bytecode.jar from project seems premature.
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:44:37 +0100

The problem, described in my previous letter, can be solved by renaming the kawa.jar into bytecode.jar and placing into /usr/share/java. Such thing probably should be mentioned in INSTALL, and also there must be listed that ASM and KAWA are required, which version needed and where to get them. However this does not lead very far, displaying another error message: is seems that kawa jar file (both versions 1.8 and 1.7.90) cannot be compiled by gcj:

gcj --classpath=.:/usr/share/java/bytecode.jar:/usr/share/java/asm.jar -fassume-compiled -I./src -I -Isrc/jars/bytecode.jar -Isrc/jars/asm.jar -I. -g -O2 -MT src/jars/bytecode.lo -MD -MP -MF src/jars/.deps/bytecode.Tpo -c src/jars/bytecode.jar -fPIC -o src/jars/.libs/bytecode.o
gnu/jemacs/lisp/simple.el: In class 'gnu.jemacs.lisp.simple':
gnu/jemacs/lisp/simple.el: In method 'gnu.jemacs.lisp.simple.popGlobalMark()': gnu/jemacs/lisp/simple.el:1818: internal compiler error: in gimplify_expr, at gimplify.c:3987
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
make[1]: *** [src/jars/bytecode.lo] Error 1

Why to compile an archive with java .class files? If this does not work anyway, how to turn this off? I tried --without-gnu-bytecode, but this also ends with error.

To my opinion, it must be possible to build any project after installing all packages listed in INSTALL and then following the instructions, described in INSTALL (in the case of this project, configure, make and make install). This fails by compiler crash on gnu.jemacs.lisp.simple. Probably some older version of the bytecode.jar was compileable, or maybe another gcj compiler is required (using gcc version 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)). If the compiler version is critical, this shuld also be documented.

Maybe I am stupid, but if the project really has building problems, we are scaring off potential contributors.

Audrius