Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] gnu.bytecode

From: C. Brian Jones
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] gnu.bytecode
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:34:41 -0500

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 01:36, C. Brian Jones wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 22:57, Elliott Hughes wrote:
> > is this the right/a sensible place to talk about gnu.bytecode?
> >
> > i know there's *a* copy of gnu.bytecode in the repository, but i know
> > it's not *the* copy. for some reason, it was easier to find this list
> > than any equivalent kawa one.
> >
> > i've been writing a tool similar to javap/jcf-dump, but which outputs
> > something in a form suitable for re-assembly into a .class file. aside
> > from the lack of support for 1.5 changes, i've found that the
> > LocalVariableTable support doesn't work (try
> > gnu.classpath.tools.JavapMain or gnu.bytecode.dump on a class compiled
> > with "javac -g" to see). there's a really simple fix for JavapMain and
> > my disassembler, but i don't know if it'll break kawa or anything else
> > that uses gnu.bytecode.
> >
> > is this where i'd find people who're interested?

I wanted to reply again because Tom has mentioned adding an option to
javap to output in a format recognizable by Jasmin, see
http://jasmin.sourceforge.net/.  I've not yet dug into it to determine
if this project is up to date enough to support 1.5 features.  I've also
been pointed to ASM, http://asm.objectweb.org/, which seems like a
pretty cool little API for doing something with bytecode.

I've removed gnu.bytecode from the cp-tools CVS in favor of the version
in Kawa CVS.  Here are a few of the things I think need fixing in
gnu.bytecode...

a) Remove use of Class.forName(), if it exists, and substitute in
something that can search a specified path instead.
b) Support 1.5
c) Ensure API provides enough information to output all details of the
class file without using a Writer which may not output in a format you
desire and tends to have special access to internal variables...

Do you want to work on something to output in jasmin format together?

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>