Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] gnu.bytecode

From: C. Brian Jones
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] gnu.bytecode
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:29:03 -0500

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 19:07, Per Bothner wrote:
> C. Brian Jones wrote:
> > I tried compiling kawa from cvs with java 1.4 and ran into the following
> > error which I was thus far unable to fix even by making the explicit
> > cast to DisplayFormat.  It's rather odd.  Do you use gcj, and will
> > version 3.3.3 work?
>
> Are you sure this is JDK 1.4?
>
> The code compiles without complaint by:
> * javac from JDK 1.4.2
> * gcj -C, using gcj 3.4.2 or 4.0.0 (an old CVS snapshot)
> * A recent version of ecj - 0.450_R30x from Eclipse 3.0.1).

The error was with JDK 1.4.1.  I switched to 1.4.2_06 and it compiled
cleanly.  I believe the compiler was at fault here because even when I
changed the code to make it more explicit it was still failing before.

> Try: make JAVAC='gcj -C'
>
> Of course for gnu.bytecode you don't need to build all of Kawa.
> It doesn't depend on any other Kawa package.  Just cd to gnu/bytecode
> and 'make'.

So if I get a little time this week I'll see about submitting a patch
for building only gnu.bytecode, separate .jar file, etc.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>