Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] gnu.bytecode

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] gnu.bytecode
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:07:01 -0800

C. Brian Jones wrote:
I tried compiling kawa from cvs with java 1.4 and ran into the following
error which I was thus far unable to fix even by making the explicit
cast to DisplayFormat.  It's rather odd.  Do you use gcj, and will
version 3.3.3 work?

Are you sure this is JDK 1.4?

The code compiles without complaint by:
* javac from JDK 1.4.2
* gcj -C, using gcj 3.4.2 or 4.0.0 (an old CVS snapshot)
* A recent version of ecj - 0.450_R30x from Eclipse 3.0.1).

However, the 'javac' installed in Fedora Core 3 does complain.
This is actually an old version of ecj, the Eclipse compiler.
I'm unable to run jdk1.3.1 due to a missing shared library,
so I don't know what it does.  However, this part of the
Kawa is fairly old, and I'm fairly sure it has also been
tested with jdk 1.1.8.

From my reading of the 2nd ed of the JLS it is possible the code
actually is ambiguous. It is possible Sun may have changed the
language definition to unambiguate it.  Or I (and ecj) may be
missing some subtlety.

Still, I might change the code - it's in a part of Kawa I'm
not terribly happy with.

Try: make JAVAC='gcj -C'

Of course for gnu.bytecode you don't need to build all of Kawa.
It doesn't depend on any other Kawa package.  Just cd to gnu/bytecode
and 'make'.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/