Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Automakejar - make install

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Automakejar - make install
Date: 10 Mar 2003 23:56:01 +0000

Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes:

> Nic Ferrier wrote:
> > Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes
>  >>
> >>gnu/%.class: @srcdir@/src/gnu/%.java
> >>    @JAVAC@ @JAVACFLAGS@ \
> >>            -d . \
> >>            -classpath "${CLASSPATH}:@srcdir@/src:." \
> >>            @srcdir@/src/gnu/xml/libxmlj/transform/*.java
> >
> > How do you set the CLASSPATH in the above project? Is it done by an
> > external script or by autoconf in some hidden way?
>
> No, autoconf doesn't do anything hidden, I find it quiet transparent
> in fact. It basically replaces the @...@ variables in a Makefile.in by
> the paths/filenames/identifiers etc. it has collected after executing a
> list of macros - that's all there is to it.
>
> In the example, @srcdir@ is the base source directory as deducted by
> AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR, and ${CLASSPATH} is the CLASSPATH environment
> variable as configured by the user. No magic, no external scripts.
>
> Of course, the LibxmlJ build dumbly relies on the CLASSPATH because GNU
> JAXP (the only dependency of LibxmlJ) doesn't install at a particular
> place so far.
>
> If gnujaxp.jar would be installable, I'd add a macro to configure.in
> which determines if it is existant at /usr/local/share/gnujaxp.jar (or
> at $CONFIGURED_JAXP_PREFIX/share/gnujaxp.jar), put that path into an
> autoconf variable, and add that variable to the -classpath expression
> above (via some variable like @GNUJAXP_CLASSPATH@).

Hmmm... ok. Here are 4 questions:

1. What about the scenario where you are shipping dependancys in a lib
directory or something?

Would you just set a CLASSPATH variable as an AUTOCONF variable
which could be overridden by the user as part of calling configure?

(note: I know how variables and such like work in autoconf: I want to
know what *you* would like to do in this circumstance).

2. Do we have existing macros for doing jar file autodiscovery? Or
   are you suggesting you would write some more M4?

3. Do you think, in this instance, that we should install gnujaxp.jar
   if it doesn't already exist.

4. can you get automake to build install targets given the way you've
   set it up?

Nic