Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Automakejar - make install

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Automakejar - make install
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:41:54 +0100

Nic Ferrier wrote:
Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes

gnu/%.class: @srcdir@/src/gnu/%.java
        @JAVAC@ @JAVACFLAGS@ \
                -d . \
                -classpath "${CLASSPATH}:@srcdir@/src:." \
                @srcdir@/src/gnu/xml/libxmlj/transform/*.java

How do you set the CLASSPATH in the above project? Is it done by an
external script or by autoconf in some hidden way?

No, autoconf doesn't do anything hidden, I find it quiet transparent
in fact. It basically replaces the @...@ variables in a Makefile.in by
the paths/filenames/identifiers etc. it has collected after executing a
list of macros - that's all there is to it.

In the example, @srcdir@ is the base source directory as deducted by
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR, and ${CLASSPATH} is the CLASSPATH environment
variable as configured by the user. No magic, no external scripts.

Of course, the LibxmlJ build dumbly relies on the CLASSPATH because GNU
JAXP (the only dependency of LibxmlJ) doesn't install at a particular
place so far.

If gnujaxp.jar would be installable, I'd add a macro to configure.in
which determines if it is existant at /usr/local/share/gnujaxp.jar (or
at $CONFIGURED_JAXP_PREFIX/share/gnujaxp.jar), put that path into an
autoconf variable, and add that variable to the -classpath expression
above (via some variable like @GNUJAXP_CLASSPATH@).

Julian