Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Gjdoc 0.6.1

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Gjdoc 0.6.1
Date: 07 Mar 2003 23:03:37 -0500

Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes:

> >                       One of the things that bothers me is that
> > cp-tools has a number of modules I'd like to distribute together under
> > a single build system, i.e. a cp-tools.jar and related scripts for
> > example.  Do I move gjdoc into cvsroot/cp-tools/cp-tools as originally
> > intended or is there another solution?
>
> Sorry, I don't remember the previous discussion. Can you point me to some
> archived mails?

Probably not something I voiced an opinion on when the gjdoc module
was added.

> While Gjdoc works fine as a bytecode application, I'd like to maintain
> gcj compilability. But it's a pain to use gcj with ant, so I originally
> planned to create an autoconf/automake based build for gjdoc in the next
> step, works quiet well for LibxmlJ. Wouldn't this conflict with the other
> cp-tools, which are ant-based?

Nic plans to add functionality to automake for creating .jar files.
My understanding from reading recent automake docs is that it supports
gcj already as a Java compiler, not really important to what I'm
talking about though.

> I don't have a strong opinion about this, but I am quiet comfortable with
> the status quo - i.e. the ability to download, compile and use gjdoc alone.
> This enables me to tweak the build process as I seem fit. But if there are
> good reasons for merging the modules, I'm probably easy to convince.

I need to be able to distribute cp-tools.jar, i.e. gjdoc, javah,
javap, rmic, etc. all together with GNU Classpath, probably in a
separate classpath-tools-{version}.tar.gz.  The current spreading of
code across many modules seems to impede this... I know I can create a
'module' that is a combination of other modules but as the things I'm
wanting to combine are all mostly Java it seems like a waste to do it
like this...

megamodule
  -> Makefile (build system)
  -> gjdoc/
  -> cp-tools/
  -> etc./

I'd like to put everything under cp-tools/.  I don't have
savannah-hacker access... guess I could ask Paul for it briefly, but
anyway I could import gjdoc into cp-tools in some logical way and
basically adopt gjdoc's build system since it is much more extensively
tested... hopefully betatest any of Nic's automake enhancements here
as well.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>