[Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Automakejar - make install

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Automakejar - make install
Date: 07 Mar 2003 11:40:00 +0000

Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes:

> Nic Ferrier wrote:
> > JAXP has bugs with GCJ that I've found... I wanted to fix
> > them... then when I looked at the build file I thought "I want to fix
> > that first". Then when I looked at automakejar I got depressed and
> > rewrote it so I'd like to integrate it with the new script...
>
> I know that. So many loose ends... but don't let it bring you down =P
>
> By the way, which new script?

It's called jarcompiler. It defines the dependancy between a
collection of java source files and a jar file containing the
compiled classes of those source files.

It takes the source files on stdin, so you can do this in a Makefile:

jarfiletarget.jar: ${SOURCEFILES}
    echo $? | ./jarcompiler jarfiletarget.jar

Env vars like CLASSPATH and JAVA_HOME are used for all of the
required config.

If you're interested in seeing it I'll check it into the cp-tools
automakejar module.

> I'm happy now with JAXP, no complaints, great package - except the
> make install thing. I think it's important to freeze the current state
> so that there is a release that is known to work with gcj 3.3, the
> compiler I want to recommend for LibxmlJ and gjdoc.
> Only problem is that there is no final gcj 3.3 release either, and
> 3.2.x doesn't work.

Ok.

I'll make sure we do a release.

> > Have you got any idea if it's simple adding a new target type to
> > automake?
>  >
>  > I want to be able to run a script over files that are registered as
>  > automake dependancies.
>
> First of all, I am not an Automake pro, not at all. I'm glad I managed
> to put the build files for LibxmlJ together, I just spent half an
> hour fixing another bug in Makefile.am.
>
> What do you mean with 'registered as automake dependancies', do you mean
> the value of the foo_DEPENDENCIES automake variable? In this case, a
> variable of the same name is defined in the Makefile. If this doesn't
> help, please be more specific.

What I want to be able to do is say to automake "here is an object
file target called fred.jar and here is the source for fred.jar and
here is how it translates from one to the other".

fred_JARSOURCES = Smith/Fred.java Smith/Bob.java Smith/Andy.java

These sources need to be piped to the jarcompiler, along with the
jarfile name. I've thought about hacking automake but it's a bit much
for me at the moment.

Nic