Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: gjdoc

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: gjdoc
Date: 07 Feb 2003 10:40:29 -0500

"Grzegorz B. Prokopski" <address@hidden> writes:

> W liście z pią, 07-02-2003, godz. 01:59, Brian Jones pisze:

> > > IANAL but xalan is under Apache license which is in turn incompatible
> > > with GPL. That would be a problem for example when using GPL JVMs
> > > or linking w/ gjdoc (sun.javadoc) code which is also GPL.
> > >
> > > I may be wrong, but thought you should be warned.
> >
> > Hmm... it's compatible with GNU Classpath and GCJ, (Guile licensing).
> > Interesting point regarding JVM licensing and tools licensing.
>
> GNU Classpath is licensed under GNU + linking exception which gives
> you ability to link to anything (even closed source).
>
> But GPL and Apache are incompatible - see:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
>
> And this is probably not a matter of viewpoint. You're free to not
> like it but it doesn't change much. GPL+Apache software can't be
> linked together. And this is especially bad as docbook-gjdoc is mostly
> GPL (w/o exception) so it CAN'T link to Apache licensed software.
>
> As long as the above is true - you can't legally CALL any Apache
> software interfaces from gjdoc. BUT Apache software can be used
> to process the output of gjdoc, when xml processor is called AFTER
> (not FROM inside) gjdoc - like AFAIK in debian's gjdoc package in
> it's shell wrapper.

There is actually an out here.  Apache's Xalan is included with the
J2SDK, ie it normally accompanies the compiler/interpreter, and even
if not I can add it to GNU Classpath if needed.

See... http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WindowsRuntimeAndGPL

"I'm writing a Windows application with Microsoft Visual C++ (or
Visual Basic) and I will be releasing it under the GPL. Is dynamically
linking my program with the Visual C++ (or Visual Basic) run-time
library permitted under the GPL?"

"Yes, because that run-time library normally accompanies the compiler
or interpreter you are using."

But I'm curious enough now to send this to the FSF's licensing guru
for more enlightened answers.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>