[Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Problems compiling kawa 1.6.99

From: Per Bothner
Subject: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Problems compiling kawa 1.6.99
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:50:16 -0700

Grzegorz Prokopski wrote:
Looking into the future - should I package gnu.bytecode in separate jar
and separate package? (under what name? gnu-bytecode[.jar]?)
Or maybe (just thinking) it belongs to cp-tools? (as com.sun.javadoc?)
[Cc:ing cp-tools ml - so that they could comment on this of they want]

My recommendation for a Debian version of javap is to use jcf-dump.
This is part of the gcj distribution.
Advantages of jcf-dump:
* already pakaged for Debian (at least I hope it is!)
* fast - written in C
* dumps contents of .zip and .jar files
* prints all the information in .class class files, including the
complete constant pool and all standard attributes.

Disadvantage:
* output is not in the same syntax as javap.  There is a very
preliminary --javap option, whose intention is to produce
javap-compatible output, but it needs work.

Packaging up javap.java and gnu.bytecode seems pointless when we already
have a faster GNU equivalent that is already in a Debian package.

By the way, the gnu.bytecode.dump (which of course uses gnu.bytecode
and is pure Java) produces exactly the same output as jcf-dump. but
does not handle .zip/.jar files and the jcf-dump options.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/per/