[Cp-tools-discuss] Re: XML Entities, DTDs

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: XML Entities, DTDs
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 00:24:02 +0200

Mark Wielaard wrote:
>On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 02:14, Julian Scheid wrote:
We need to ship some sort of entity definition files along with Gjdoc
so that the stylesheets can properly resolve external entity
references like   or ä.

Can we use these?
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/docbook/xmlcharent/0.1/index.shtml

Does anybody think this is not free and/or GPL compatible?

If anybody objects then maybe we can use the ones from the XHTML spec?
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/#dtds>

But the simplest solution might be to just clean the original HTML from
those entities when transforming to XML. I believe there are only about
200 valid/used symbols anyway.

But it's an evolving standard which we would need to keep up with if we
reinvented the wheel. Besides, an XSLT processor delivers entity
transformation for free, so why should we implement it? If there are no
entity definition files out there with an acceptable license (which I
don't believe) then we need to implement our own, but only the definitions
and not the transformation.

Speaking of which. Since we still don't have a dtd can we also use the
--novalid flag for xsltproc so we won't get the warning messages about
missing dtds?

I'll write the DTD soon... until then feel free to use --novalid. I'll
leave the warning in so it reminds me of what is missing. ;)

Julian