[Cp-tools-discuss] Re: XML Entities, DTDs

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: XML Entities, DTDs
Date: 11 May 2002 19:34:05 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 02:14, Julian Scheid wrote:
> We need to ship some sort of entity definition files along with Gjdoc
> so that the stylesheets can properly resolve external entity
> references like   or ä.
>
> Can we use these?
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/docbook/xmlcharent/0.1/index.shtml

I think the license says that it may be freely used to make derived
works that implement what it describes (the entities). But my brains
does become a bit fuzzy when reading this copyright statement.

    Copyright © 2001 The Organization for the Advancement of Structured
    Information Standards [OASIS]. All Rights Reserved.

    This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
    others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
    or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
    and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
    kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph
    are included on all such copies and derivative works. However, this
    document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
    the copyright notice or references to OASIS, except as needed for
    the purpose of developing OASIS specifications, in which case the
    procedures for copyrights defined in the OASIS Intellectual Property
    Rights document must be followed, or as required to translate it
    into languages other than English.

    The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
    revoked by OASIS or its successors or assigns.

    This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
    "AS IS" basis and OASIS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR
    IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF
    THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
    WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Does anybody think this is not free and/or GPL compatible?

If anybody objects then maybe we can use the ones from the XHTML spec?
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/#dtds>

But the simplest solution might be to just clean the original HTML from
those entities when transforming to XML. I believe there are only about
200 valid/used symbols anyway.

> BTW have we yet agreed on which URIs to use for the DTDs? I'm currently using
>
> <!DOCTYPE gjdoc PUBLIC "-//GNU//DTD Gjdoc XML V0.1.1//EN"
> "http://www.gnu.org/software/cp-tools/dtd/gjdoc.dtd";>
>
> Any problems with that?

I don't know. We might have to ask the gnu webmasters
(address@hidden). Should there be an actual dtd at that address?

Speaking of which. Since we still don't have a dtd can we also use the
--novalid flag for xsltproc so we won't get the warning messages about
missing dtds?

Cheers,

Mark