Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] build

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] build
Date: 10 May 2002 02:26:33 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 00:29, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> The latest version of automakejar is in the paperclips cvs. The
> version elsewhere works but there is a fix for a particular feature in
> the paperclips cvs version.
>
> The tool does not have it's own project or webpage yet.

OK, I have something that almost works out of the box.
This seems simple and usefull.
It would be nice to at least create a CVS module for it.

Note that some files have notices like:
# (c) Nic Ferrier - Tapsell-Ferrier Limited 2002
#
# You are free to redistribute this file. NO WARRANTY or fitness
# for purpose is implied by this notice.

Which is not a real free software license since it does not permit
distributing changed versions. Not, that that stops me from distributing
modified versions in this email :)

I have to get some sleep now, but I will show what I did so I will
remember when I wake up... Please correct me if I make wrong
assumptions.

Combined with your email this is almost a real manual for automakejar...

- What are the dependencies precisely?
  I have aclocal (GNU automake) 1.4-p4 and Autoconf version 2.13.

- Create a 'configure.in' file as attached.
  AC_INIT should contain a file inside the source directory
  so configure can check if the source directory has been specified
  correctly.

- Run 'ac_local' to create a 'aclocal.m4' file from the 'configure.in'
  file.

- Run 'autoconf'. This creates a real 'configure' file from the
  'configure.in' and 'aclocal.m4' files.

- Create a 'Makefile.aj' file as attached.
  [XXX - insert some of the stuff that Nic said]
  Note that it is a simplified version of the paperclips one.
  PROGRAM variable added. SOURCEDIR added to classpath
  (should probably not be necessary).

- Add the attached 'automakejar' program to your project dir
  and make sure it is executable (chmod 755 automakejar).

- Run './automakejar Makefile.in' to create a 'Makefile.in' file from
  your 'Makefile.aj' file.

- Run './configure'
  (I don't seem to be able to do something like --with-gcj or
   --with-javac which would be very nice. Same for --with-jar)

- Create a 'lib/manifest.mf' file as attached.
  The Main-Class attribute should point to the main class (duh).

- Run 'make'
  This does not actually work since for some reason it detects gcj
  but does not add -C to the JAVAC_OPTS, so add it manually.
  Also when using gcj 3.0 -classpath overrides the system classpath,
  so you should change it to -CLASSPATH by hand.
  (Since this also works with gcj 3.1 I propose to make this the
   standard switch when using gcj.)

- Run 'gij -jar gjdoc.jar'. Yeah!

Some other observations:
- The original check for make dist in the paperclips version didn't
  detect my system as GNU/Linux :(
- make dist includes lots of stuff, not just the distribution files.
- For very simple Manifests you could create it from the main-class
  argument (if added).
- There is no make install or dist-check target.
- Haven't looked at javadoc generation yet
  (which should be the ultimate bootstrap test for gjdoc!)

Good night,

Mark