Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] DebugDoclet >> XmlDoclet

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] DebugDoclet >> XmlDoclet
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:58:59 +0100

Alex Lancaster wrote:

What about libxslt (xsltproc is the command processor) name from
Daniel Veillard (http://xmlsoft.org)?

Sounds good, I'll give it a try.

Yes, we should keep as much as possible to XSLT 1.0.  However, if it's
the <xsl:document> function which you're referring to it's actually a
common extension to many XSLT processors (and is in XSLT 1.1 I
believe).

I was using Xalan's rewrite extension, but if xsl:document is more
common (and supported by libxslt) I'll use that instead.

There's one issue I'd like to discuss in this context. Javadoc comments
can contain HTML comments that are not well-formed. So I cannot simply
dump them to the XML output, because then the XML output wouldn't be
well-formed either.

But if I take every < and replace it with &lt; etc., i.e. mangle the tags,
this will limit the XML docs usefulness because it isn't as easy to produce
plain text, for example, or any format other than HTML.

So the best approach would be to process Javadoc comments to make sure
that they contain well-formed (X)HTML, am I right? Do you know any tool
(i.e. Java library) capable of this? I don't want to implement this myself
at the time, as I already mentioned in the discussion on HTML functions
in TexiDoclet some days ago.

Julian