Re: gcj and GNU Java directions (was Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [Cp-tools-discu

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: gcj and GNU Java directions (was Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS]])
Date: 22 Feb 2002 11:14:35 +0000

Alex Lancaster <address@hidden> writes:

> Out of curiosity, GNU and others appear to converging on GCJ as the
> default compiler and VM.  Is this the case do you think?  Also
> classpath will ultimately merge with GCJ, how is that project going?
> I ask because I've been out of the Java coding game on regular basis
> lately (mainly because of graduate school, I'm mainly doing lots of
> bioinformatics-y Python and such of late) and I was hoping to get a
> sense of where you think the free GNU tools for Java will end up.

The project to merge Classpath and GCJ is going well... there is an
awful lot done, even down to some of the native code being "kinda"
merged.

 There is a webpage somewhere.

Personally, I think that GNU will standardise on GCJ. A native
compiler is to sexy not to use. And of course, it's GCC at the end of
the day.

I do see an interesting opportunity for the GNU project in combatting
.NET and so forth with pure java - natively compiled.

Nic