gcj and GNU Java directions (was Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss]

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: gcj and GNU Java directions (was Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS]])
Date: 21 Feb 2002 23:20:32 -0800

[...]

NF> I think this is the direction we're headed. Sun seem to have
NF> vacated this space to a certain extent, they're more interested in
NF> persuing their barmy enterprise stuff than the nitty gritty
NF> details of this sort of thing.

NF> I think they envision most java classes running inside an
NF> enterprise container within the next couple of years.

NF> Here at the GNU project GCJ is making us all think rather
NF> differently (I think).

Out of curiosity, GNU and others appear to converging on GCJ as the
default compiler and VM.  Is this the case do you think?  Also
classpath will ultimately merge with GCJ, how is that project going?
I ask because I've been out of the Java coding game on regular basis
lately (mainly because of graduate school, I'm mainly doing lots of
bioinformatics-y Python and such of late) and I was hoping to get a
sense of where you think the free GNU tools for Java will end up.

Alex
--
    Alex Lancaster * address@hidden * SourceForge Developer