[Cp-tools-discuss] gjdoc works again!

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: [Cp-tools-discuss] gjdoc works again!
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:01:50 +0100

... well at least partially.

I am currently using the Sun VM and libraries for running
the thing, not tested w/Classpath yet.

I get more or less sensible output by using the
minimal Makefile-hack attached below. Please adjust for
your system.

Don't expect too much, but I think you can start
playing around with it a little. However it is definitely
too early for real testing or bug reports. There are a
good number of known problems on my list already, I'll
enter them into Savannah task manager tonight.

Note that while our goal should be to get gjdoc+texidoclet
working, it's probably better to test gjdoc using
com.sun.tools.doclets.standard.Standard from Sun's core
classes in the first place, as this is something like a
'reference' doclet in terms of completeness of API usage.

I plan to finish gnu.classpath.tools.gjdoc.DebugDoclet so that
it retrieves ALL information from the doclet API, sorts it,
and writes it to stdout. (currently, it only retrieves a tiny
subset.)
That way, we can simply use diff to verify that gjdoc is
compatible to javadoc and to pinpoint the situations where
gjdoc behaviour deviates.

Until this is implemented however, you should stick to
using Sun's standard doclet in order to evaluate gjdoc's
performance and compatibility. (The Makefile below doesn't
reflect this, though.)

More tonight.

Julian

--- SNIP ---

RUN_CLASSPATH = tmp:../tmp:/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/lib/tools.jar
RUN_DOCLET = gnu.classpath.tools.doclets.texinfo.Driver
RUN_MAINCLASS = gnu.classpath.tools.gjdoc.Main
RUN_ARG_CLASSES = com.sun.javadoc.MethodDoc
RUN_ARG_OPTIONS = -sourcepath /usr/local/classpath-0.03:. -d docs

JAVA = /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/bin/java
JAVAC = jikes

RELEASE_OPTIONS =
DEBUG_OPTIONS = -Dgnu.classpath.tools.gjdoc.LogLevel=1

create_dirs:
        mkdir tmp
        mkdir docs

all:
        @echo Compiling...
        @$(JAVAC) -d tmp gnu/classpath/tools/gjdoc/*.java

run: all
        @$(JAVA) $(RELEASE_OPTIONS) -classpath "$(RUN_CLASSPATH)"
$(RUN_MAINCLASS) -doclet $(RUN_DOCLET) $(RUN_ARG_CLASSES) $(RUN_ARG_OPTIONS)