Re: baseN: new program suggestion (various 'base' encoding)

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: baseN: new program suggestion (various 'base' encoding)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 15:41:39 -0700

Hello,

On 2018-11-23 2:26 p.m., Pádraig Brady wrote:
On 22/11/18 15:26, Assaf Gordon wrote:
Hello all,

I recently needed some less common binary encoding,
and decided to try and implement it based on base64.c .

A single program is definitely the way to go if we're considering adding more
encodings.

[...]
I'd probably change to source file from base64.c to basenc.c
[...]
Given the complexity this adds and the disparity
to the proposed alternatives, it seems useful enough to add.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Attached improved patches.
The first renames base64.c to basenc.c.
The second implements basenc.

Major changes:
1. Program is now called "basenc".
(I initially wanted to call it "basex", but sadly that name is already
used in debian).

2. Removed "base85" encoding (aka "ascii85") - there's already an
existing utility with similar interface to base64, which is readily
available: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/ruby-ascii85 .
Also, the encoding is variable length, which does not neatly fit in the current base64 implementation.

3. Added base2lsbf/msbf (least or most significant bit first) encoding.

4. Added test suite with high coverage.

5. Added man page and texinfo documentation with few examples.

Comments welcomed,
 - assaf