chicken-janitors

Re: [Chicken-janitors] #1550: chicken-install will generate scripts that

From: Chicken Trac
Subject: Re: [Chicken-janitors] #1550: chicken-install will generate scripts that may fail randomly when using types or inline files
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 10:24:49 -0000

#1550: chicken-install will generate scripts that may fail randomly when using
types or inline files
            Reporter:  sjamaan       |      Owner:
                Type:  defect        |     Status:  new
           Component:  extensions    |    Version:  5.0.0rc3
          Resolution:                |   Keywords:  chicken-install, types
Estimated difficulty:  medium        |  file, inline file

Comment (by felix):

 I'm currently trying to reproduce this problem. Note that the custom build
 scripts don't work (at least) on my OpenBSD installation (`sh` is `ksh`
 there), `set -e` seems to abort failing commands in conditionals and so
 `use-internal-sqlite3` always fails.

 Another remark: `chicken-do` never orders dependencies or build steps, it
 only decides whether a build step is to be done or not. The logic in
 chicken-install should make sure that if the static variant of an
 extension is built, then .types and .inline files must already exist, as
 the dynamic variant must have been built before that. The only case where
 your scenario comes up could be if the types/inline files are removed, but
 the dynamic extension is not, which would confuse the egg build and would
 be an intended breaking of the dependency chain.

 What we could do would be to add a dependency of the static extension on
 the dynamic one, but this feels like working around external attempts to
 subvert the egg build.

--
Ticket URL: <https://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1550#comment:1>
CHICKEN Scheme <https://www.call-cc.org/>