Re: [certi-dev] Speed of attributes updates beetwen two federates with

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Speed of attributes updates beetwen two federates with time managenment enabled
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:26:09 +0200

2009/4/8 Максим Гаммер <address@hidden>:
> Hello,
>
> there are two federates, one is time-regulating and another is ither
> time-constrained or without time management at all. The speed of attribute
> updates is about 15-20 updates per second (100mbit network).

This seems slow, but performance heavily depends on many parameters.
What kind of performance do you seek?

Thus could you gives us more informations:

A) OS Version / Hardware info

- On which OS do you run (Windows, Linux, Solaris etc...,)

- Are your two federates on the same OS or is your simulation "heterogeneous"
  i.e. one on Windows XP 32bits and the other on Linux AMD64 or ...

- Which version of CERTI do you use?
   3.3.0, 3.3.1, CVS etc...
   Did you compiled CERTI yourself? If yes what was the compiler?

- What kind of machine do you use ? (processor, memory, etc...)
   In any case how is the load of the two machines during the test?
   If the load is high then check the amount of
   Message::TICK_REQUEST (see below)

B) Federation information

- What is the lookahead of the time-regulating federate?

- What is the amount of data exchange for each UAV?

- Does the two federates exchange  data i.e.
  one is posting UAV for the other but does the second post UAV
  for the first too?

C) More tests

- Can you run the federation on the same machine?

- Each federates should print out statistics at the end of the run
   would you be able to send us those statistics?
  In particular you should have an amount of
  NetworkMessage::MESSAGE_NULL
  not too bigger than the amount of
  NetworkMessage::REFLECT_ATTRIBUTE_VALUES

  The number of Message::TICK_REQUEST and
  Message::TICK_REQUEST_NEXT should be in the same
  order (may be twice as big) as NetworkMessage::REFLECT_ATTRIBUTE_VALUES.

  If this is not the case then something may be done to improve performance.

- May be you can send us your test code (2 federates + Fed File) which
  exhibits this performance and we may try to run your federation
  in our context?

> Is it normal or I'm doing somethis wrong?

Cannot tell :-)

I'll be off network for a while, so I may be unable to answer :-(

Either someone else will answer to you (Petr, Pierre, Christian, Martin?)
or I'll come back to you in a week or so.