Time Management and Nullmessages

From: Christian Stenzel
Subject: Time Management and Nullmessages
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:52:33 +0100

Hello all,

for the preparation of my talk in Magdeburg I've read some
publications dealing with CERTI. My main resource is
ftp://ftp.cert.fr/pub/siron/.

As I read in  ftp://ftp.cert.fr/pub/siron/02F-SIW-018.pdf
the time synchronization relies on the original Nullmessage-algorithm
of Chandy and Misra, also called CMB-algorithm.

There a nullmessage is a promise not to generate
any message with a lower timestamp then tnow+lookahead. Nullmessages
are generated after each increment of the simulation clock (I suppose
after each TAR resp. NER, if no "normal" message is available).

As I think to know this algoritm do not allow something like a
zero-lookahead. When using zero-lookahead, normally it should lead to
an infinite synchronization loop. Also depends the performance of the
distributed simulation highly on the value of the lookahead and
with it on knowledge depending on the concrete simulation model.
Small lookaheads generate much more nullmessages and network traffic.

I've done no experiments concerning zero-lookahead and CERTI yet, so
 perhaps anyone of you had. This matter directly influences the TARA
and the NERA service, I suppose.

As I know protocols like Deadlock Detection and Recovery (Chandy, Misra)
or synchronous variants can handle zero lookahead.

So the question is if I could use zero-lookahead with CERTI.